Various environmental factors, such as UV rays, air conditioning, pollution or dust can damage the health of our eyes, favoring the appearance of various diseases such as infections, dry eyes or cataracts.
- What is eye hygiene?
- Eye Hygiene Tips
- Eye Hygiene Products
In addition to these issues, not taking proper precautions at work can also erode our eyesight. Good eye hygiene is necessary to counteract these negative effects.
What is eye hygiene?
Eye hygiene is a broad concept that goes beyond the correct and frequent cleaning of the eyes and what is around them, such as eyelashes or eyelids. It also includes preventive measures at work and even in leisure activities.
Eye Hygiene Tips
1. Clean the eye area carefully and frequently. Eyelids and eyelashes protect the eyes from drying out and foreign bodies. For this reason, it is necessary to take special care of these areas, using wipes and special gels and removing very carefully the remains of makeup (in case we use them) and the lagañas when waking up.
2. Take care of the environment where we are. As much in our own house as in those places where we are going to spend many hours we must try to create a healthy environment: airy, well illuminated and without excess of humidity.
3. Prevention factors at work. Electronic devices can irritate our eyes, causing the feared visual fatigue. With simple measures such as placing the computer about 40 centimeters away and inclined 20 degrees to avoid reflections, as well as lowering the brightness of the screens, we will reduce the negative impacts on our eyes.
4. Rest your eyes. We should get used to five-minute breaks every two hours of work at least. A simple eye massage or, even simpler, looking out the window towards the horizon is the most effective way to avoid eye fatigue, as well as relaxing our mind.
5. Do not touch our eyes with dirty hands. A matter of logic that sometimes we forget or do unconsciously and that can cause infections.
6. Protect our eyes from the outside. Good sunglasses, preferably polarized, will protect us effectively from UV rays and other inclement weather, such as wind.
7. Play sports safely. Sport is very good for our general health and the health of our eyes as long as appropriate measures are taken. Safety goggles are essential in adventure or speed sports, such as skiing or cycling.
Eye Hygiene Products
Physiological serum is a sterile solution of sodium chloride 0.9% water. It has a great advantage: its salt concentration is equal to that of human blood, which makes it an excellent product for the care of our body.
As far as the eyes are concerned, it is a totally harmless product, so it does not harm them at all. For this reason, it is perfect for eye hygiene, as it does not cause any irritation.
It can be used in the case of conjunctivitis to cleanse the eyes with a small gas and then apply the specific eye drops prescribed by the doctor.
Sterile gauze or wipes
They are very practical for the ocular hygiene, although in the case of blepharitis and other problems, it can be unadvisable to use them not to worsen the irritation, having to be replaced by swabs or special wipes.
Make-up removers are handy for removing make-up residue, which can cause infection. What happens is that the makeup remover itself can cause eye irritation, so it should always be used with care and in the direction of the nose, to avoid contact with the eyes.
Infusions and other natural remedies
The eyes are extremely delicate organs, so infusions and other natural remedies should not be abused to treat conjunctivitis and other problems, as they can cause a stronger infection than the intended cure.
In addition to this whole set of measures, we must add an even more important one: go regularly to the ophthalmologist to check our eyesight and check that everything is going well. Certain ocular pathologies, such as glaucoma, do not cause symptoms in their earliest stages.
However, they can be detected with the appropriate tests in order to start an early treatment that eliminates the problem without causing any type of sequelae.